Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Kudos From the Donor Lab

Paul and Cynthia had a visit from a representative of the Blood Donor Lab downstairs today. He came up to meet Andrew because he just had to find out who this kid was after the massive influx of designated donations in the last week. He said that the donations for our Andrew have caused a substantial uptick in the blood bank. Kudos to all of you who have been a part of that! We feel truly blessed by your incredible generosity.

His advice to all of us (now that Andrew has more blood than they know what to do with) is to hold off and start spacing out our donations a bit. So, if you have an appointment for this week or next, think about holding off until next month, when this round has been used up and we are in need of a fresh supply.

In other good news, the MIBG (a high definition bone scan) shows definitively that there is no cancer attached to the bone nor in any organ. This is very good because it shows that, while the cancer has metastasized into the marrow, it has not set up camp anywhere else.

Andrew has now officially completed his first round of chemo, his appetite is returning and he enjoyed a quiet evening with his family today. Lucia came to the hospital and played with her brother, and is looking forward to him coming home soon.

14 comments:

gbseager said...

Great news all around! Lots of love to you all!
Gret n' Lou

Judy Filippone said...

We are so happy and grateful for this latest good news! Thank you Cassie for keeping everyone in this loop of information, good wishes, love and prayers.

Our love to all,
Aunt Judy and Uncle Pete

Anonymous said...

Paul and Cynthia - I just wanted you to know that your Houston "peeps" are thinking of y'all and sending Andrew mega doses of positive love vibes.
Thank you Cassie for this website - I'm reading it every day so I can see how Andrew and everyone is doing - you're greatly appreciated!

Love to all,

Paige

Anonymous said...

Yeay!!!!!! Thinking about you all a lot.
Love,
Natalie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news all around. I worked at Children's Hospital for a year before going to law school and I thought it was a fantastic place - very caring people working on the cutting edge. We're all lucky to have a place like that in our community, but especially Andrew right now. I'm postponing my platelet donation and will try to keep tuned so I know when it's needed again.

Bill

Anonymous said...

We are so happy to hear the positive news and are so proud of how strong, sweet and happy Andrew is keeping up with everything. We think of you often and appreciate this website so much. Love, strength and positive energy to all of you!! Loretta, Tommy & TL

Unknown said...

WWHHOOO!!! Great news. I will reschedule my blood donation. Just let us know when and O- will be coming your way!!!
Maggie Young

Anonymous said...

Great news! What about Platelets? Does he still need? I was going to go tomorrow at noon thirty.

Anonymous said...

That's really great news!

Anonymous said...

So much wonderful news! Thank you for keeping us up to speed. We are thrilled to see Andrew made it through his first round of chemo and can go home soon.

Anonymous said...

Alex, and anyone else with the same question about Platelets, we can hold off on those, too, until future notice.

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear the great news! Thank you for keeping us updated. Thinking of you all. Brooke

Anonymous said...

Yahoo, Andrew! This is all great news. Sending prayers up & good vibes out to you every day. Love, Adam's Family

Anonymous said...

Cynthia, Paul, Andrew and Lucia,
We are thinking of you and praying for you guys! I'm glad you got some good news!
I wish we lived closer so we could donate some blood and help out.
Love,
Julie, David, Daniel and Michael