We promised to keep you posted, but this is not an easy or comfortable update to give. Andrew had an MRI of his right leg on Tuesday. The purpose was to get a better look at the spot on his shin that appeared on the bone scan the other week. The MRI revealed a "lesion" on his shin. According to the radiologist's report, there are only three possible explanations: Trauma, infection, cancer. Of those, she largely ruled out trauma. And the causes of infection--staph, salmonella, TB--seem, quite frankly, far-fetched. As the doctor was explaining all of this to us yesterday and running down the possible choices, I realized what a strange world we inhabit: I found myself hoping for Tuberculosis. I thought, I'd take Tuberculosis. I could handle Tuberculosis. Tuberculosis can probably be beat.... Strange world, indeed.
Yesterday and today, Andrew underwent a repeat of the MiBG scan from a couple of weeks ago. In particular, they focused on his shin and we were given surprisingly good news there: MiBG negative. That is a start. A good start. Unfortunately, it is not necessarily the final word, because not all Neuroblastoma responds to MiBG and, of course, all sorts of other cancers don't. Still, we'll take what we can get right now.
So, the plan now is to have a biopsy performed on his shin. This will take place on Wednesday at City of Hope and the good news is that he will be in extremely capable hands. The pediatric orthopedic oncologist (say that three times fast), Dr. Femino, is excellent. The bad news is that, because this is bone that they are biopsying, it will take at least a couple of days to get results. And, at this point, it's the not knowing that's hardest to deal with.
Cynthia is trying to keep us (me) calm and grounded and in the present, but it is hard not to have your mind go to the worst places. Still, we're trying to simply move from one day to the next without getting too far ahead of ourselves. But, it's scary. We ask for prayers. We ask for good thoughts. We ask for healing powers. We ask for whatever you can muster for Andrew. We can take a fracture. We can deal with salmonella. We can fight a staph infection. (We think) we can duke it out with TB. But, we are paralyzed by the thought of relapse.
Thank you.
Paul & Cynthia
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Dear Paul and Cynthia, I will be among the great number begging God fervently for confirmation of NO NB in his bone. I am sorry also for the terrible stress in the interim--it is something difficult for many to fully appreciate...many many prayers and much love to you all.
sending thoughts of health and stength to your warrior. Karen Haddock gave me a green warrior bracelet and I will not take it off.
Anne Hermann
Big fat enveloping loving caring bear warm hugs from all of your cousins in Houston. And, especially me (I qualify on most of those counts).
Keeping you in my prayers. We think of you every day.
Take strength from us. :)
Love,
Tom, Cat, Tommy, Pauline, Charlie, Junior (turtle), etc.
Dear Paul & Cynthia,
The Queen & Femino Families are all praying for your family and for Dom's ability to successfully heal dear little Andrew. We are hoping he just needs to cast the stress fracture of an active 4-year old boy.
Sending love & strength to you,
Marie
We are thinking of you. Gordie loved seeing you all- I wish I could have come too. We will pray for you all. Love, all the Spaters
Sending all our love and prayers. Giant hugs too.
Gret, Lou, Allegra and Olivia
My thoughts and prayers are with you two, Lucia and, most of all, Andrew. Warmest regards, Hunter
Dear Cynthia & Paul,
I'm thinking of you and Andrew everyday and sending my positive thoughts, strength and love his way.
Ania
Post a Comment